Sunday, July 09, 2006

12 weeks, 3 days

We have passed the 12 week point of our pregnancy, which is when most people breathe a sigh of relief. Although we are thrilled that we have made it this far, there is great trepidation for what the next 20 weeks will bring. After 32 weeks, our baby will have passed the most important developmental stages and we will feel very confident if he/she is born.

Overall, I've been feeling pretty well. I took a friend's advice (she laughs when I say that) and had evening sickness instead of morning sickness. My days were easy enough with breakfast and lunch staying down, and no running to the ladies bathroom during meetings or client appointments. Sure getting sick isn't that much fun, but if I had to choose, I'd rather do it in the comfort of my own home and be able to go to bed directly after. The sick feeling has been tapering off, so hopefully, my appetite will return in full and I can look forward to eating again.

We met our first perinatologist a week ago, who detailed two strategies they recommend to give us the best chance of a successful pregnancy. First, I will have a cerclage (scheduled July 24th) and second, I will receive weekly progesterone shots starting around week 16 or 17. Combined, they believe our chances increase by 30% to 40%, although there is still the remote possibility we'd have a healthy pregnancy without any intervention.

The cerclage is performed after an epidural is given. The perinatologist will sew my cervix in a way they liken to a purse string, in an attempt to keep it from opening prematurely if it really is incompetent or insufficient. Of course, it does not guaranty success alone; I will also have regular appointments with the perinatologist and ultrasounds to monitor my cervix, as it could still open and tear the stitch if not watched closely. Bed rest is likely at some point, but there is no telling when it might start or to what degree.

My goal for the next two weeks is to take a few walks and partake in other activities that I will likely be unable to do until after the pregnancy.

No comments: